A lot has been happening in our country in the recent past to the extent that we’ve become cynical towards our own country. I thought it would be a good idea to sit back and focus on the good side of our country for a change. This would be a baby step to re-establish our faith in our country.
India is a vast country with all its complexities. But the fact is we cannot ignore our homeland. It always feels like home. No matter whichever part of the globe we travel to, we are always drawn back to our roots. It’s here we feel loved and accepted.
I’ve listed seven things that I love about my country
1) Warm and hospitable people – Indians by nature are known to be warm and hospitable. We open our homes and hearts to outsiders. We believe guests are like God and they need to be treated with respect. Many foreigners would also agree to this. You feel accepted here.
2) Believing in family values – We’ve come a long way in terms of modernity and being westernised, but we’ve retained our family values. Taking care of our parents and respecting elders is one of our greatest priorities. There may be a few exceptions but generally parents are given importance and children are expected to look after their parents when they are old.
3) The Indian food – We just love our Indian food don’t we ? It’s so diverse and unique. Each regional cuisine is significantly different from the other. The Hyderabad Biryani , Rogan Josh, Poha, Palak Paneer and the list can never end. Each cuisine is so different yet delectable. The street food cannot be ignored either. The Paani Puris, Dahi wada, chaat and so on. Spicy, tasty and tangy food is what we love.
4) Our bollywood movies – Our desi movies are different and cannot be ignored. where else would you find Movies with strong story lines, accompanied by dance and music. It’s unique and unmatched. It’s one of the greatest source of entertainment for we Indians.
5) It’s diversity – India is known for it’s diversity and rich heritage. Each state has it’s own local language, unique culture, local ethnic costume, and local food. We are different and yet united.
6) Beautiful destinations to visit – There are numerous places to visit in our own country. In the north we have Ladakh, in the west we have Goa, in the south we have kanyakumari and in the east we have beautiful hill stations like Darjeeling. We are blessed with nature in all it’s forms. We are home to hills, mountains, beaches rivers and valleys.
7) We are religious tolerant – We have a mixture of communities who live in peace and harmony under one roof. Christians, muslims, sikhs and Hindus ! Each community has a right and freedom to practice their own religion. We follow our own religion but respect other religions too.
So, this is our incredible India. Hope you agree to the seven points, I’ve mentioned above. Do share your views on the topic.
I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 1st – 7th September 2013. Write tribe